I moved to Hawaii in January of 2015 with one of my closest friends which proved to be a fantastic decision! We moved to Maui in the northern town of Haiku and lived there for 8 months while also visiting the surrounding islands. Hawaii is obviously an idyllic vacation destination for it's raw beauty and slow pace but there is also much adventure to be had. Here I will list my top 5 tips for visiting Maui and of course provide photos of some of the amazing places you can visit on both Maui and a few of the surrounding islands!
TOP 5 TIPS!
- Rent a cheap car! You definitely need a car to get around but standard rental companies can tack on hundreds of dollars to your budget. Hawaii is pricey enough as it is, so it helps to cut back where you can. Choose a "cruiser" car from a local rental agency for a cheaper price and to look like you are a local. We used Kimo's while in Maui.
- Don't just sit by the sea. Be sure to visit Haleakala National Park to see an incredible, other worldly landscape closer to the clouds.
- If you have time, go around the ENTIRE island. Of course you will hear of the "Road to Hana" which is incredible, but on the opposite side (west Maui), you will find amazing beaches, the best banana bread around (look for the lime green stand) and get a dryer climate. Just be sure you or your driver is good at navigating very narrow cliff side roads and always drive safe!
- If you go during whale season (between November-April) try paddle boarding to get a little closer to the whales without disturbing them by boat. You may get lucky and hear them sing underwater or catch some whale-tail action close up! We went with Paddle On! Maui which is a great outfitter!
- Don't forget to check out Molokini! This little crater which you can see from the beaches is an amazing place to go snorkeling and check out something a little different. We used Blue Water Rafting as an outfitter and they gave us a great tour of both the crater and the backside where we saw reef sharks. If you run cold, bring a rash guard.
Please leave your comments below and let me know what you think!